Monday, March 7, 2011

Hiatus

I have family arriving today and have spent the last few days making rather pathetic attempts at getting ready for their visit.  What a horrible time for insomnia to strike.  Very rude. 

I'll mostly be playing hostess this week, but there will be a few things I accomplish: 

1) A coconut cream pie.  I've never made one.  We'll see how it turns out.

2) Bacon jam.  Sound weird?  It's a sweet/savory jam that I think will be good as an appetizer.  Or maybe on a spoon.

3) More homemade dog biscuits.  Dad has four dogs as well, although all four put together aren't as big as one of ours, so I'll make bunches to send some home with him.

Other than that, it will be play it by ear.  The weather will definitely be a factor in our activities and it hasn't been impressing me thus far.

And the fate of the frozen goat cheese:  I let it thaw, hoping that it would drain a little more and firm up.  Not so much.  So I decided to make dip out of it.  Looking in the spice cabinet (Does anyone say "cupboard" anymore?  Just curious.) I came across a package of Bear Creek dip mix.  It was sesame garlic.  What's really interesting is that the goat cheese with the dip mix now tastes like bleu cheese.  I haven't figured that out yet.  C'est la vie.

Until next week . . .