Friday, January 27, 2012

Sourdough Surplus

When I signed on for Tea & Cookies Cooking Challenge of sourdough bread with homemade starter, I had no idea how much starter I would end up with.  The reason I have so much starter is that unlike the instructions direct, I cannot bring myself to throw away portions of it.  So it just keeps multiplying. 

quantity of starter this morning

quantity of starter this afternoon
(the three half-pints are sitting in the dish in case of overflow)

Friends and neighbors beware.

Once I figured out that I was going to have more sourdough starter than any individual should ever need, the search for recipes using sourdough starter began.  Thus far, I’ve identified four recipes from the King Arthur Flour website to try:  sourdough chocolate cake, sourdough carrot cake, sourdough pizza crust and sourdough ciabatta.  (As my previous attempt at ciabatta didn’t work out as well as I would have liked, I thought it only fitting to include that one.)  In addition to these four, there will also be the upcoming sourdough bread recipe from the Tea & Cookies challenge.

Methinks I’m going to be more of a baker than a homemaker this coming week.  Thank goodness I have a patient and understanding husband!

3 comments:

  1. What a great story! My problem with sourdough starter is that I never feed it regularly enough. I need to get a new batch started though. Your starter is growing so impressively!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried making a starter during the summer and... it never came to life. If you don't want to throw your starter out, give some to me! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, the starter went crazy! It was a good thing I had the pan under the small jars because they all overflowed! Kyleen, the Tea & Cookies instructions are really good. This is the first time I've made starter myself and it couldn't have been easier. I started mine with Hodgson Mill whole wheat flour instead of rye. Now that I know I can do it, I'll never buy starter mixes again!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?