Friday, May 25, 2012

Almost a Garden

After an unsuccessful attempt at starting age-old seeds back in January, my second attempt with new seeds was a little too successful.  I ended up giving about half of my seedlings to our former neighbor for his garden.  The remaining seedlings have been transplanted to pots, and this what I have now:

The large planter has beans and involuntary herbs (cilantro and basil) from seeds blown off of last year's plants.  The large round pots at the ends contain sweet peppers.  The buckets in front contain orange mint, thyme, tarragon and lemon mint.  Most of these were purchased as plants.  The beans and peppers were the only ones I started from seed - intentionally anyway since the cilantro and basil technically are from seed as well, I just wasn't the one to plant them.

With the exception of the rhubarb, all of these were started from seed.  I have cucumbers, four pots of different varieties of tomatoes, hot peppers, tomatillos, Italian cippolini onions, Florence fennel, the rhubarb, black-eyed peas and a huge pot with squash and zucchini.

I've never grown onion from seed before.  Given their age, I'm really surprised they germinated.

Fennel is something I'm learning to like.  Even if I didn't like it, this is such a gorgeous plant I would grow it for the foliage alone.  I may try bronze fennel next year.

This little guy came from the farmer's market.  It really needs to be planted in the ground but I can't decide where it should go.  In the future, I'm instituting a rule that I can't buy plants if I don't know where I'm going to put them!

Squash blossoms are so pretty!  I know they're edible, but I'd much rather leave them on the plant to become squash.

While I still long for the day when I can have a traditional garden in the ground, I admit there are conveniences to container gardening – especially when temperatures are reaching near-record highs.  Pulling weeds in 100°F temperatures isn’t a part of gardening I particularly relish.  Yes, I am a wimp!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I might be too tempted by those squash blossoms and pick them off before they become squash. I'm such fan of them. Your garden looks just beautiful, and your deck is so long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may yet happen - there are still a lot of buds waiting to blossom, so if I get a profusion of flowers they may make it to the menu yet! I'm hoping so because I've not eaten squash blossoms and I'm anxious to try them.

      Delete
  2. I love your container garden, I completely understand your feelings about the heat, I'm in Florida and the humidity is insane! Hope it's a very fruitful season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My husband grew up in Florida and swears our humidity here in Southern Illinois rivals that of Florida. But apparently the plants like it - it's amazing how much they have progressed since this post!

      Delete

What do you think?