Thursday, September 8, 2016

These days . . .

Have you noticed the fewer hours of daylight?  While I don't particularly enjoy that, I do look forward to the cooler temperatures and letting loose of the foul-weather baker in me.  Some recent fall-like temperatures has kick started that process - along with some recipes from Saveur I found intriguing.


Last night I decided, hell or high water, I was making Irish Coffee Soda Bread.  Of course, deciding this on the fly, I didn't have all of the ingredients listed.  If you know me at all, you know that wasn't a deterrent.  I didn't have dark brown sugar, buttermilk, Irish whiskey, or instant espresso powder.  I did have light brown sugar, molasses, 1% milk, lemon juice, Guinness Extra Stout, and instant coffee granules (the latter for baking purposes ONLY!). 

Although I did have whole wheat flour on hand, I thought this a good opportunity to use the Irish-Style Flour from KAF.  Personally, the only difference I could ascertain was price.  But given that I ended up with batter instead of dough, I could be wrong.  It's hard to tell with so many of my substitutions.  While I (mostly) followed the directions listed, my ingredients were as follows:

2 cups AP flour
2 cups Irish-Style flour
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp baking soda
4 tbs chilled butter
1-1/4 cups 1% milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup Guinness Extra Stout
2 tsp molasses
3 tbs instant coffee
1 large egg

I didn't follow the directions about kneading the dough because, as I mentioned, I didn't have dough.  Instead of kneading the dough and making a round, I lined a loaf pan with parchment and scraped in my batter.  I did forget to make a cut down the center so I had a blow out on the side but, of course, that only affects appearance not taste.  And I'm not mad at the taste at all.  In fact, I may make it again, exactly the same way.

Yes, I was drinking that Guinness.




3 comments:

  1. don@mail.postmanllc.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. Is this loaf also good for other alcoholic drinks?

    gotscombodd70

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've also made this using Irish whiskey as the original recipe directed, and it was just as good. I think Scotch or Bourbon (any whisky/whiskey, really) would do well, and maybe even dark or spiced rum. The recipe is easy enough to invite multiple experiments with different liquors.

      Delete

What do you think?