Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Failing Successfully

This morning, I finally admitted defeat on the pate de fruit.  For now.  Yesterday afternoon I scraped it back into the pot and cooked it again, this time to 227F and poured it into two pans.  By the time I went to bed last night, I was optimistic.  It seemed like it was setting up much better.  I got up early this morning to check my results.  Well . . .

I managed to get these cut before I retreated.  Although the set was much better than yesterday, it still wasn't firm enough.  Originally I thought a knife dipped in hot water would work best.  Turns out I was wrong.  The round cutter did the job much better, but still not good enough to make me want to cut both pans.  I don't think I have ever worked with anything so sticky in my life.  Even after coating them in sugar, they were so soft they just kind of oozed around the sugar to stick to the cookie sheet.

Plus, I forgot to butter the parchment - again.  So what I decided to save (I'm not sure for what yet) had to be scraped off with a spatula and then scraped off of the spatula. But all in all, I'm not that disappointed for a first attempt and know I'll make some changes before trying them again.  I will definitely go with a low/no sugar pectin so I don't have to use so much sugar.  These things are super sweet.  A little too sweet for my taste.  So sweet that I didn't taste any cardamom after the first try, so when I recooked it, I decided to add a healthy dash of ancho chile.  Can't taste that either.

Further pate de fruit endeavors will have to wait until next week.  A message from Justin yesterday has amped up my wedding cake schedule, as he would like to pick the cake up Friday afternoon instead of Saturday.  I'll be baking six cakes today.  Guess I better get busy.