Act I was an attempt to do half of a batch of goat's milk caramels. Other than scorching them slightly, I thought they were going to turn out well. When I gave one corner a poke to see how they were setting up, I knew I had a problem. This was confirmed when I attempted to cut them. They didn't cut so much as they broke. Instead of caramel, apparently I made toffee. Before I had a chance to get all disgruntled about this, inspiration hit me as I was staring at some of the small shards on my cutting board: toffee chips. Goat's milk toffee chips. Brilliant! I will now be in search of the perfect recipe for which to use my goat's milk toffee chips.
|Shards of goat's milk toffee waiting to be broken into chips.|
Act II was a departure from goat's milk caramels. I made the same recipe (the full recipe this time) but used cow's milk and butter instead. And I added some ancho chile powder right before I poured them. I won't really know how these turn out until tomorrow, but from what I chewed off the spatula, I'm predicting two outcomes: 1) the ancho chile is not coming through the way I had hoped and 2) I am so infatuated with the goat's milk caramels that I may never make caramels with cow's milk again. Actually three outcomes. The third being that I should probably stop making/eating caramels in light of the fact that I've pulled my crown off - again. Oh Dr. Milligan . . . .
|The mess waiting for me in the kitchen and ancho chile caramels waiting to cool.|