Saturday, February 5, 2011

Score!

Today's shopping excursion to the Neighborhood Co-op was a success.  I was looking for a particular item and found it.  Don't you love it when you find something you really want? 

So what was it?  Strange to be excited about this, but powdered goat's milk.  I'm infatuated with the goat milk caramels and want to take it a step further.  I plan to make my own sweetened condensed goat milk to use in the caramels.  That's the purpose of the powdered goat's milk.  I found several recipes for making your own sweetened condensed milk with powdered milk, water and sugar (a few recipes called for butter, but I'm not sure about that yet).  I'm going to try it with the powdered goat's milk and use actual goat milk instead of water for the liquid.  The heavy cream will still be bovine, but it's a rather small amount.  We'll see how homemade sweetened condensed goat milk performs in caramels.

In other caramel news, the ancho chile caramel sauce is absolutely fine and right now the jar of melted and re-hardened goat's milk toffee is in a waterbath on the stove to aid in getting it out of the jar.  That may become caramel sauce, too. 

I think I need to use caramel sauce in cupcakes.  I think I need a caramel intervention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?