Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Don't Eat That!

Spoon butter.  It's something I read about on Food in Jars (http://www.foodinjars.com/2011/02/wooden-tools-and-homemade-spoon-butter/).  It's for conditioning wooden utensils and cutting boards.  I've been wanting to give it a try, so yesterday I did.  Small problem.  I was relying on memory for the "recipe" and my proportions were really off.  It's supposed to be 1 part beeswax to 4 parts mineral oil.  Mine was half and half. I'll see if I can melt it down again and add the rest of the mineral oil.

Coated in spoon butter and waiting for a rub down.
As you can tell, some of these get used more than others.

It still did a very nice job on my wooden utensils though.  There are still a few things left do to:  our collection of Munising wooden bowls and some rolling pins.  A couple of the rolling pins will be a bear; one is for making ravioli and the other is for springerle.  Lots of little nooks and crannies to get around.  But it will be worth it.  Silicon has its place, but I love my wooden utensils!


All done and back in their home.
(The crock was given to me by my dad.  It's a family piece from his mom.)