Monday, January 24, 2011

New Projects - Not so much

After forcing myself to start the day with some housework, I decided it was time to tackle the goats milk caramels.  I got out my pots and pans, my candy thermometer, the pan for the caramels.  I carefully measured my cream, evaporated goats milk and sweetened condensed milk.  I went to the pantry for the sugar and corn syrup and, wow, that bottle of corn syrup doesn't feel as heavy as I remember.  Ummm, that doesn't look like two cups.  Well that's because it wasn't.  It was 3/4 of a cup.  Why can't I just do things the way I'm supposed to and gather all of the ingredients first?!

So with only 3/4 of a cup of corn syrup, the milk mixture was refrigerated and the caramels were abandoned.  But that is enough corn syrup for the coffee brittle . . .

The recipe for the brittle calls for 1/2 cup of corn syrup.  Since I couldn't think of any reason to keep a 32 ounce corn syrup bottle with 1/4 cup remaining, I chose to increase the recipe by half.  Again, one of those things I know better than to do, but did anyway.  Still waiting to see if I'm going to have coffee brittle or coffee taffy.  Either way, it should be a good buzz.


I do have to point out that I need brittle (or caramel) about as badly as I need marmalade.  Especially in light of the fact that while eating some honey-pistachio brittle late last night, I pulled a crown off.  Yay me.
It definitely looks better the second time around, but we'll see if it sets up to be brittle or if it's still taffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?